Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Try one more time.

This week was one of my toughest weeks in my life. I was asking constantly a question what I want to do in life. It's a question that came up when I started my MBA journey but not with so much conviction as I have now. What I want to become in 5 years from now, what kind of life I want to lead, what ‘makes me happy- All these questions came up one by one. I had no clue whom to ask and answers for them. Finally, I called my mom, and spoke my mind to her and told her what ever that has happened. She felt bad that after preparing so hard this has happened, but she maintained and believed that I can do this. (I had a similar situation like 10 years before when I got a rank of 10232 out of 500,000 people in a engineering entrance exam, with such a rank you wont get admission into the college I dreamt of -- JNTU College of Engineering--, so I prepared for 6 months and got a rank of 757 out of 500-600k odd people- My mom was very proud of the achievement) and my mom reminded me of the same, and told not to give up.

I also spoke to my Sister, dad, and a close friend of mine who is in ISB. Some told me that may be god didn't want you to go through this route and may be he has something else for you, some told to not give up- as my mom. I believe in god, but I believe that your belief in something supersedes the destiny. Destiny is created by you and by your whole hearted efforts and passion towards certain things. If Edison had quit inventing the bulb after 2nd or third time and if Gandhi had quit thinking about freedom after he was asked to get down from train because he was sitting in a compartment reserved for elite and If Obama had quit after knowing that there was no African American as president before then we wouldn't have seen the hope that these people have brought to our lives. I don’t know whether I will be successful or not next time, but the only thing I am going to do is to "Try one more time".

Most of the part time MBA schools I am interested have deadlines from February 1st till May 1st. I am interested only in top 10 schools and I am thinking to spend 1hr for application and around 2 hrs for GMAT so that by January I should be ready with around 80% of my app done and GMAT score in my belt. Lets see, I will keep the effort needed and see how it goes. Anyways, based on my brainstorming last 1 week , below is a tentative analysis of what I need to do for my next attempt: [Please do comment if you see something is missing or I am going wrong]

Math/Verbal

In math: I've pinpointed my issues are with probability (I got 2 of them in first 5 in GMAT) , chart questions, advanced geometry, sequences (How to predict the sequence based on some numbers), Inequalities, advanced number properties (word problems), fractions (-ve side, squared, less than -greater than)
To do this time: Basics, Formulae collection, GMAT CLub tests, MGMAT Archive, forum questions.

In Verbal:
CR: I got more than 4 CR Under lined questions; I need to know how to answer those effectively. Don’t know what materials to do for CR, but I am going to review all the basics again from powerscore, and then might pick up GRockitt to do some more problems.
To do this time: Grockitt, LSAT

SC: I need to revise Modifiers (I got lot of them)
To do this time: OG 10,11,12, GMATFIX, GRockitt

RC: I don’t see any issue- I really knocked all the RC passages in exam, I will just continue the same practicing 4 RC's per day.
To do this time: LSAT, GRockitt.

What I am not going to do this time:
Will not focus on quantity
If I see a question, I would not leave it until I understand it completely
Not going to join any course
Study not more than 3 hours a day, including weekends.
Wont take more than 2 practice exams a month
Wont Neglect Strengths

What I am going to do this time
Take it easy
Revise often things I learnt
Basics first then practice
Fix exam date only after I am very comfortable with exam and scores reflect the same
Document into one doc everything I learnt as Verbal/Math than on flash cards (they do take time for me to write)

Other miscellaneous things I want to do:
Join Yoga
Read Wall Street Journal daily
Help others

3 comments:

  1. hey madhu..good that I found a blog like urs... I am really impressed and inspired by your commitment and interest towards GMAT. I gave my gmat .. got 620. Q49 ,V25 :( and AWA 4.5 :( . I think I need to and feel to and can do better , as that score was with out much prep and i think some amount of luck. I have read in one of your posts that you have prepared some notes on quants and verbal. If possible could u please share them. my email id is chaitanyareddy.nani@gmail.com.

    Hope to see from you.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaitanya,

    Sorry to hear about your GMAT. Keep working and you will do well next time. I wrote all my notes in flash cards, not in word doc for my previous attempt for me to share. I would advice you to go to BTG and download notes from people who scored top. Also check out gmatclub website, they have good math notes. Hope it helps & keep working..

    Madhu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey madhu,

    Good blog. I am in a similar situation as you are. I got a 690 on my GMAT and I am not sure if that is enough for the Top 5-7 schools. So I am aiming for a retake. Just a word of advice - spend equal or even more time on the app. When I started writing my essays I underestimated the effort required to write them. You need considerable research and digging before your first draft. So you may want to balance it out. I suggest try a Knewton course for your GMAT. They give a 50 pt guarantee and they do a pretty food job at it if you want to get into the 700+ category.

    ReplyDelete